Dementia Related Post

When 40% and 60% = 0%

I’ve just read the Lancet Standing Commission on dementia prevention, intervention, and care. 2017.

Click to listen and read along to… good exercise for the brain

Based on mainly observational studies, the report looks at environments, lifestyles and behaviours that dementia in its particular guise was prevalent. Although this may have some value in spotting trends, it states that these studies are not designed to tell us anything about cause and effect!

The findings are what I would call underwhelming! Nothing new, nothing you didn’t already know. There are some strange ones, but then they couldn’t just keep saying the same things over and over, could they?

There were nine factors to start with:

hearing loss
low education
lack of physical activity
social isolation
high blood pressure

and now we have three more:

drinking alcohol
head injury
air pollution

Any surprises there for you?

It is strange the things that are missing, such as, diet, mental activity and sleep. Am I sure there are many other areas you can think of too? Maybe they will come in the next extensive, costly, and self-confessed Dementia expert’s report?

The mantra of good living, eating well and exercise, with all the other addons; stop smoking, drinking and drug overuse, has been around for decades, is suitable for use in general, and obviously helps in preventing Dementia symptoms in later life.

So is this report of any value at all? I leave it for you to decide. I think it is patronising to all of us living with dementia symptoms now and gives very little to those that have no idea what is coming!

I believe in prevention and think that those things we know are good for us, which strangely enough, does include our brains, is also relevant and suitable for dealing with dementia symptoms!

Much more needs to be done on working with those that are suffering Dementia symptoms now. Lifestyle changes help, we all know that!

They say that there is no guarantee that if you avoid these, so-called risk factors, we will not get dementia. Obviously, this is because, although they can say maybe, could, or possibly to the 40% they refer to, for the remaining 60% of causes, they haven’t got a clue!

Some areas that are mentioned do give rise for concern. As humans, we are prone to worry when someone tells us something that may cause a specific problem. For me, it is hearing. I’m profoundly deaf, so what do I do about that, other than worry!

The result of this costly study, by Dementia experts, that took a long time to compile can be summed up in the Alzheimer’s Research Uk blog on the subject:

‘In the meantime, the best advice is that what’s good for your heart is good for your head: that means eating a balanced diet with plenty of fruit and vegetables, staying mentally and physically active, and keeping blood pressure, weight and cholesterol in check.’

Please comment on anything I have said. Thank You!

Categories: Dementia Related Post

Leave a Reply